Building Your Funding Train
As a graduate student, you’re training for your next career stage whether it is in academia, industry, science communication, consulting, etc. Writing a proposal is an important component of that training because:
- Writing rigorously clarifies and deepens your thinking,
- Articulating research priorities increases productivity and impact,
- Developing and communicating ideas is critical in all career paths,
- Eliciting and providing feedback strengthens mentoring relationships,
- Reviewing feedback improves your writing, and
- Securing funding is an accomplishment and has positive career benefits.
This website, although a little whimsical, is designed to put you on track to identifying potential funding opportunities. We have divided the funding opportunities to reflect the different stations you will go through during your graduate career. As the engineer, you are the driver of your “funding train” but you have a support crew too – your mentors and advisors! The Biosciences Grant Writing Academy’s comprehensive trainings and resources will keep you fueled during the journey with knowledge and skills needed to write a persuasive and innovative proposal. And remember, like the Little Engine That Could a mantra of optimism and determination can take you anywhere (“I think I can, I think I can…”)!