Resources for Writing Diversity Statement
When writing a Diversity Statement, just like when writing a grant, consider the mission & goals for the folks that will read the document. If you are applying for a faculty opening, does that university have a statement that includes diversity, equity, inclusion, and belong? Are there elements of that statement that appeal to you?
- Diversity Workshop Handout, The Writing Center, Ohio State University
- “Guidelines for Writing a Diversity Statement”, Academic Affairs, University of California, Davis
- “Diversity statements for faculty job applications”, UPenn Career Services
- “Diversity vs. Inclusion: Misconceptions and Things You Can Do“ – not a statement-specific article but can be useful to address common myths in diversity
- “How to Write a Diversity Statement for an Employer”, Elizabeth Wolfenden – this is more employer-focused but has good guidance on finding out why an employer (or other other entity) is requesting a diversity statement
Another fantastic resource is from Deb Karhson and Shalia Kotadia. (Click here to DOWNLOAD - Stanford login required). It comes from Karhson, DS. and Kotadia, S. (2020). Certificate in Critical Consciousness and Anti-Oppressive Praxis Program Manual. Office of Faculty Development and Diversity, School of Medicine, Stanford University. Website: https://med.stanford.edu/diversity/content/certificate-in-critical-consciousness-and-anti-oppressive-praxis.html